2011 Off topic thread(basketball,movies,etc whatever)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbjj
    • May 2010

Originally posted by SPX
    I noticed that, too. More like K-2 Maia.
    Yea, it sort of depressed me. I was really starting to think maia might have been getting real close to unbeatable, if your name is not Anderson Silva.

I know Munoz beat him, but I actually thought Maia edged out that fight. And I think if they squared off again that Maia would beat him. I think, maybe.

Comment

• Luke
      10 year vet
      • Oct 2006

I'll skip all the BJJ talk ,someone PM me when its over
      2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Comment

• Svino
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by SPX
        I don't get how they could ever feel like BJJ is a complete no-holds-barred fighting style when virtually no attention is paid to striking skills. Did they feel like grappling and submissions would always be enough to get them by? Could they not foresee the day when fighters with good striking and the ability to avoid takedowns would appear on the scene?
        I think they really didn't. It seemed like they believed they would be able to get pretty much anyone to the ground (pulling guard if need be) and submit them eventually.

As I remember that TUF incident, I actually thought Nog owed Vinny an apology. It was like Mir was trying to get Vinny to dis Nog and Vinny wasn't really going along with it.

(Also, Vitor's only been proper-KO'd once. Just wanted to throw that in there.)

Comment

• SPX
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sbjj
          I think some of the die hard old school BJJ artists thought they really did not need striking. Hell, they could just flop on their back and tell the other guy come and get me. Bottom line, if I ever have my daughter in a self defense class because she NEEDS it(you know, being bullied and such) it would be BJJ. I was in TKD for years, Boxed for years, wrestled in HS, and then took 6 months of BJJ. I think there is no comparison when it come to straight self defense. BJJ wins hands down IMO.
          Hmm. . .

Why BJJ over boxing? Most street people don't have grappling skills to speak of, so I would think some good boxing would be preferable. Plus, if we're talking about self-defense, I would think you would want to keep the fight on the feet as much as possible in case of multiple attackers, etc.

I think if I was purely self-defense focused I would learn boxing and judo. Boxing to bust them up at distance and judo to handle the clinch range.
          I heart cock

Comment

• SPX
            • Aug 2009

BTt sbjj, what style of TKD did you study? And did you think it was valuable at all from a self-defense standpoint?
            I heart cock

Comment

• sbjj
              • May 2010

Originally posted by SPX
              Hmm. . .

Why BJJ over boxing? Most street people don't have grappling skills to speak of, so I would think some good boxing would be preferable. Plus, if we're talking about self-defense, I would think you would want to keep the fight on the feet as much as possible in case of multiple attackers, etc.

I think if I was purely self-defense focused I would learn boxing and judo. Boxing to bust them up at distance and judo to handle the clinch range.
              A guy with just a decent grasp on BJJ could submit a very good boxer IMO. Plus I love the aspect of beating someone without turning their face into hamburger.

Comment

• sbjj
                • May 2010

Originally posted by SPX
                BTt sbjj, what style of TKD did you study? And did you think it was valuable at all from a self-defense standpoint?
                I have no clue what style of TKD it was . i was 7, and took it for probably 3 years. to be honest my daughter took TKD a couple of years ago and I could not tell you what style it was.

As for effectiveness, keep in mind my age. I really do not think it was all that great. I could have probably kicked alot of kids my age asses, but I never really was into that.

Comment

• sbjj
                  • May 2010

Check this out.

Comment

• poopoo333
                    MMA *********
                    • Jan 2010

As long as there aren't multiple people involved like SPX mentioned I think BJJ is probably the best thing to have in a "street fight". I have a couple of friends that train BJJ end up in these types of fights and embarrassed the other guy. One of these was at work...my friend and this other guy I worked with were fucking around and the other dude got serious and he ended up getting hip tossed onto his back and RNC'd and almost went out until I was like "hey you can let go now, LOL!!"

Comment

• SPX
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sbjj
                      A guy with just a decent grasp on BJJ could submit a very good boxer IMO. Plus I love the aspect of beating someone without turning their face into hamburger.
                      Well that's why I said boxing and judo. If it gets into a clinch, then a judo player should be able to handle the situation accordingly by throwing his opponent or disengaging, and if it does get to the ground, judo has enough subs that his advantage shouldn't be much less than a BJJ guy against your average street thug.

The other problem I have with fighting on the ground in a street fight, even beyond multiple opponents, is that you have to deal with the fact that concrete hurts and can kill you. You definitely don't want to end up on the bottom and getting picked up and slammed on your head.
                      I heart cock

Comment

• Vandelay
                        • Nov 2010

Most of us arent 105 pounds, so getting picked up and slammed is unlikely.

Comment

• Ludo
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Vandelay
                          Most of us arent 105 pounds, so getting picked up and slammed is unlikely.
                          Most of us can pick up another man of our size without a huge struggle at least once. Getting dumped on your head on the concrete or having it smashed into a brick wall is definitely going to stun you momentarily, if not put you out.
                          2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
                          Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
                          Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
                          Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Comment

• Vandelay
                            • Nov 2010

Yea shocking that more people cant slam their way out of a traingle attempt. most people cannot pick someone of the same size up over their head and slam them. Plus the person would most likely do something to get out of the slam once he realizes that he is going to get slammed.

Comment

• SPX
                              • Aug 2009

Yea shocking that more people cant slam their way out of a traingle attempt. most people cannot pick someone of the same size up over their head and slam them. Plus the person would most likely do something to get out of the slam once he realizes that he is going to get slammed.
                              Sometimes it's not that easy. And it really doesn't take that much of a knock on the head to do some serious damage. In the best case you just get stunned or KOd, like Ludo said, but in the worst you end up with brain damage or dead.

In any case, I just don't like the idea of doing ground grappling on streets, sidewalks, barroom floors, etc. It works in MMA, BJJ and Judo because you are on a cushioned surface, there are rules, and you are also presumably among friends who aren't trying to permanently injure you. But getting thrown, slammed, taken down, etc in a real fight is totally different. Maybe you end up on bottom, but don't get get slammed. Instead you to take 10 shots to the face while your head bounces off the concrete. Or maybe you end up taking their back and sinking in an RNC, but guess what, your hands are now busy in this no-rules match and the guy reaches back and digs his thumbs into your eye sockets. If you try to defend, you lose the choke. But if you don't defend fast enough, you end up blind.

Fuck that. It's just an entirely different world in a street fight with motherfuckers who just don't give a fuck.

In a real fight, I want to be punching. And if there's any grappling involved, I want it to be me throwing them to the pavement while I stay on my feet.
                              Last edited by SPX; 10-13-2011, 09:47 PM.
                              I heart cock

Comment

• Ludo
                                • Jan 2010

Apples and oranges. Slamming out of a triangle is difficult because all the weight of the other person is on or above your shoulders. There's more than strength at work, and the other and probably bigger factor is balance. It's hard to balance yourself to hoist something as heavy as you in the air from that position. But from another postion, say standing in the clinch, it's not incredibly hard to scoop someone up pro wrestling style and dump them, or even lifting from a shoulder tackle sort of position. Of course it's going to be hard to slam someone from the ground, it wouldn't matter if they were 100lbs or 300lbs, the leverage isn't on your side there and neither is balance.

Also, the reason we don't see alot of slams in MMA is because these guys are constantly training to be as balanced and positionally strong(not just strength, but strength for the position much like Judo). It's hard to pick someone up who is educated about what it is your trying to do and also how to keep you from doing it as opposed to some average guy who probably hasn't grappled a day in his life.
                                2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
                                Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
                                Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
                                Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Comment

Working...