2011 Off topic thread(basketball,movies,etc whatever)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MMA_scientist
    • Nov 2009

Yeah, the population mumbers get skewed somewhat by actual city limits... my city (Evansville, Indiana) for example is a city most people have never heard of. But it is sort of 2 cities together (Evansville, IN/Henderson, KY) and the county is really small area wise. There are about 350,000 people in the "metro area" but we are still pretty insignificant I think, which is how I like it. I don't care for my actual city, but this is where my friends and family are, so that is more important to me than living in a beautiful and happening place.

I have been to SLC and I liked it a lot. It is definitely more significant than a regional drawing place like Ft. Wayne or Peoria (even though they are similar population wise), but not nearly as large as a "big city". Probably something akin to Louisville, KY size and population wise. But I agree it is more of a destination than its population would indicate. Probably has something to do that it is out in the middle of nowhere all by itself.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Comment

• MMA_scientist
      • Nov 2009

SLC is the 48th largest metro area fwiw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

It is funny looking at those, because they do not reflect the size of the city. I am a couple hours from both St. Louis and Indianapolis. I have always considered Indy to be much larger than St. Louis, and they are both AT LEAST 2-3x as large as Louisville, which I visit almost every week for work. Louisville Metro is actually a bit larger than SLC, but Louisville doesn't have a whole lot going culturally... it does have some good restaurants, but there are no pro sports, no outdoor destinations, etc. I do like it, but it is not what I would call a major city.

My town comes in at 142, above several cities that I have visited and seem much larger and more metropolitan. I wonder why some towns just suck even though there are a lot of people there.
      Last edited by MMA_scientist; 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• MMA_scientist
        • Nov 2009

a wrestling movie with actual real actors?

Comment

• Mr. IWS
          215 Hustler
          • Sep 2006

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Paulie FTWW!
          Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Comment

• MMA_scientist
            • Nov 2009

Paulie was bad ass is the Sopranos too. Pauli knows whats up.

Comment

• MMA_scientist
              • Nov 2009

I am going to watch the full stream today between appointments. I will let you know if Paulie carries it.

EDIT NM, it was just an ad

Comment

• SPX
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Luke
                LOL that was my last house and no I'm not kidding. A log cabin on 11 acres of woods and a 3 acre pond down a 350 foot lane . I'd upload pics but its quicker to just see it on google maps

Pimp. I wouldn't mind living in that.
                I heart cock

Comment

• Mr. IWS
                  215 Hustler
                  • Sep 2006

I'm going today to check on that magazine X.
                  Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Comment

• SPX
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by MMA_scientist
                    I don't care for my actual city, but this is where my friends and family are, so that is more important to me than living in a beautiful and happening place.
                    Having moved around a bit, one thing I can definitely say for sure is that ultimately the way you feel about a place doesn't have so much to do with the place as it does the things you do there and the relationships you have. Most of my teenage years and early 20s were spent in Jackson, MS, a place that totally sucks and I couldn't wait to leave, and yet when I think back to that time in my life, there are a ton of good memories. In retrospective it was a fun time.

I think this is also why I've settled in here in Salt Lake. I've made a couple of good friends and I like the city. I've learned that something better is not necessarily around the next corner and changing geographical locations in search of some degree of happiness or contentment is usually ineffective. From age 23 to 25 I moved 5 times and lived in 4 different states, and spent 2 months in Central America. Now I've been in SLC for almost 4 years and have no plans to leave any time soon.

I have been to SLC and I liked it a lot. It is definitely more significant than a regional drawing place like Ft. Wayne or Peoria (even though they are similar population wise), but not nearly as large as a "big city". Probably something akin to Louisville, KY size and population wise. But I agree it is more of a destination than its population would indicate. Probably has something to do that it is out in the middle of nowhere all by itself.
                    I think that one of the things that appeals to me most about Salt Lake is the fact that it's not overwhelmingly big, like Dallas was, but culturally it has a lot more than you would expect. With just a few exceptions, most anything that I have found in other places, I've been able to find here, too. There may not be as much of it, but most things are about quality, not quantity, anyway.
                    I heart cock

Comment

• SPX
                      • Aug 2009

SLC is the 48th largest metro area fwiw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

It is funny looking at those, because they do not reflect the size of the city. I am a couple hours from both St. Louis and Indianapolis. I have always considered Indy to be much larger than St. Louis, and they are both AT LEAST 2-3x as large as Louisville, which I visit almost every week for work. Louisville Metro is actually a bit larger than SLC, but Louisville doesn't have a whole lot going culturally... it does have some good restaurants, but there are no pro sports, no outdoor destinations, etc. I do like it, but it is not what I would call a major city.

My town comes in at 142, above several cities that I have visited and seem much larger and more metropolitan. I wonder why some towns just suck even though there are a lot of people there.

Yeah, I think that population is not always the best indicator of a city's significance on America's landscape. I mean, look at New Orleans. It's #46 on the list below Tampa, FL and a shit place like Oklahoma City. I would easily call New Orleans more significant than both.

I think that really a town's government and its people have to be committed to turning their place into a cool place to live and visit if it's to become such a city. You can't just be content with strip malls and all-you-can-eat buffets.

I think that having some interesting historical background or surrounding geographic features also helps. New Orleans, for instance, has the whole French and cajun thing going on. I mean, you can go down there and party in the French Quarter one night and then take a trip on the bayou looking for gators the next. Memphis has a very rich history in the music industry, with a huge number of rock and blues artists coming out of the area. And SLC is right by the mountains. These are all relatively small places, but you can say their name and people will know something about them, and quite possibly will have been there at some point or another.
                      I heart cock

Comment

• SPX
                        • Aug 2009

a wrestling movie with actual real actors?

That actually looks pretty good. I'll check that out fo sho. Paul Giamatti's a bad motherfucker.
                        I heart cock

Comment

• SPX
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by IWS Zak
                          I'm going today to check on that magazine X.
                          Word. Let me know if you find it.
                          I heart cock

Comment

• MMA_scientist
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by SPX
                            That actually looks pretty good. I'll check that out fo sho. Paul Giamatti's a bad motherfucker.
                            Yeah I like Giamatti. He has that quality that just makes you want to watch him, a lot like William H. Macy in that regard, for me. But he keeps letting me down by taking roles in shitty movies. A hate to see a great actor just repeatedly make bad role decisions. You see that all the time.

Comment

• SPX
                              • Aug 2009

Yeah I like Giamatti. He has that quality that just makes you want to watch him, a lot like William H. Macy in that regard, for me. But he keeps letting me down by taking roles in shitty movies. A hate to see a great actor just repeatedly make bad role decisions. You see that all the time.
                              Who's taking shitty roles? Giamatti or Macy?
                              I heart cock

Comment

• Luke
                                10 year vet
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by SPX
                                Word. Let me know if you find it.

I looked in my mailbox today.......I didnt find it
                                2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Comment

Working...