• poopoo333
            MMA *********
            • Jan 2010

Naw, Larson ended up winning via UD.

Comment

• SPX
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by MMA_scientist
              My dog woke me up at 2:30 last night, and I couldn't go back to sleep, so I watched a couple documentaries- "The Imposter" and "Into the Abyss." I actually didn't get to finish Abyss because my son came trotting out at 6:00. "The Imposter" is fascinating, highly recommend, just for the story which is absurd. The film making aspects probably wont interest SPX that much (but they did do one kind of neat thing where the interviewee spoke and the actor playing the younger version of the person mimed it).

I will report back on "Into the Abyss"- but it is a Werner Herzog death penalty doc. I have actually worked on a couple death penalty cases, so it didn't grab me as much, but I am sure it will be good.
              I actually saw The Imposter at an indie theater here. It was good, but I have to say that it didn't quite live up to the trailer for me. But you're right, it is fascinating. You have to wonder how those people, even for a second, believed that this was their kid. And you also have to wonder what really happened to the real one.

I believe I started Into the Abyss once. Not sure I finished it. In either case, it didn't leave much of an impression.
              I heart cock

Comment

• SPX
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by poopoo333
                .////
                Gay.
                I heart cock

Comment

• SPX
                  • Aug 2009

Damn. Nothing gayer than breaking a 25' HDMI cable and not being able to hook your computer up to your TV. Shit's retarded. Now I'm going to have to order a new one because they're way too expensive to buy locally.
                  I heart cock

Comment

• MMA_scientist
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by SPX
                    I actually saw The Imposter at an indie theater here. It was good, but I have to say that it didn't quite live up to the trailer for me. But you're right, it is fascinating. You have to wonder how those people, even for a second, believed that this was their kid. And you also have to wonder what really happened to the real one.

I believe I started Into the Abyss once. Not sure I finished it. In either case, it didn't leave much of an impression.
                    Yeah, I can't even fathom how everyone, even the FBI, believed this guy's crazy story. I guess if the family is saying it is him, they have the preconception that it is him... so they are thinking of everything in that framework. But yeah, the family... I really think they had to know. I read on line that the mom was a crack addict, so she may not really remember him. The sister seems semi-sane though, I think once she believed it, everyone just went with it. I also read that the kid was due to be sentenced the next day in juvi, and might have been going to a foster home... so he might have ran away (or maybe the brother really did kill him). It would be amazing if he resurfaced at some point. I had never seen or heard of the movie before, I was just browsing netflix and picked something, so it was a good surprise. I don't know, it just blew my mind how it could happen... maybe it was the sleepless night.
                    2012: +19.33
                    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Comment

• Mr. IWS
                      215 Hustler
                      • Sep 2006

*********Breaking News********

Nino just got out.

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Comment

• SPX
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by MMA_scientist
                        Yeah, I can't even fathom how everyone, even the FBI, believed this guy's crazy story. I guess if the family is saying it is him, they have the preconception that it is him... so they are thinking of everything in that framework. But yeah, the family... I really think they had to know. I read on line that the mom was a crack addict, so she may not really remember him. The sister seems semi-sane though, I think once she believed it, everyone just went with it. I also read that the kid was due to be sentenced the next day in juvi, and might have been going to a foster home... so he might have ran away (or maybe the brother really did kill him). It would be amazing if he resurfaced at some point. I had never seen or heard of the movie before, I was just browsing netflix and picked something, so it was a good surprise. I don't know, it just blew my mind how it could happen... maybe it was the sleepless night.
                        It seems like all you have to do is look at him and know he's not the same dude. Sure, people change, but they don't change races. Or eye color. And dude's hair was clearly not naturally blonde. You gotta give dude credit for one thing: He's got fucking balls.

I had never heard of the story, but I saw the trailer and put it high up in my list of movies I wanted to see. If you're interested in the critical reception, here you go:

The Imposter is a chilling factual thriller that chronicles the story of a 13-year-old boy who disappears without a trace from San Antonio, Texas in 1994. Three and a half years later he is found alive, thousands of miles away in a village in southern Spain with a story of kidnapping and torture. His family is overjoyed to bring him home. But all is not quite as it seems. The boy bears many of the same distinguishing marks he always had, but why does he now have a strange accent? Why does he look so different? Any why doesn't the family seem to notice these glaring inconsistencies? It's only when an investigator starts asking questions that this strange tale takes an even stranger turn. The stranger than fiction mystery, which features many twists and turns, is told in a cinematic language that combines documentary and stylized visualizations. Perception is challenged at every turn, and just as the truth begins to dawn on you, another truth merges leaving you even more on edge. (Indomina Releasing)
                        I heart cock

Comment

• SPX
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Mr. IWS
                          *********Breaking News********

Nino just got out.
                          Just read up on that. Apparently he's still under house arrest until this summer? What the fuck is that shit about?

Can't wait for Blade IV. . .
                          I heart cock

Comment

• Svino
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by SPX
                            I disagree. It's sort of an urban myth that he is always at odds with popular opinion. In many cases he is not. And if you ever listen to him actually have a conversation about why he believes certain ways about certain movies, you will realize that he is indeed sincere and holds opinions that, agree or disagree, are well-reasoned. He's appeared on the Slashfilmcast three times I think. I would suggest listening to all three episodes.
                            Well, the reason his shtick works is that no movie is so good you can't find something bad to say about it, and vice versa. So he's always able to justify his opinion which is why his comments are sometimes interesting instead of just a waste of time. Any given review of his might be defensible, but it's the overall pattern that gives him away.

For what it's worth, here's what the late Roger Ebert had to say on White: [http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009...nd_white.html]

On Thursday night I posted in entry in defense of Armond White's review of "District 9." Overnight I received reader comments causing me to rethink that entry, in particular this eye-popping link[*] supplied by Wes Lawson. I realized I had to withdraw my overall defense of White. I was not familiar enough with his work. It is baffling to me that a critic could praise "Transformers 2" but not "Synecdoche, NY." Or "Death Race" but not "There Will be Blood." I am forced to conclude that White is, as charged, a troll. A smart and knowing one, but a troll. My defense of his specific review of "District 9" still stands.
                            [*] http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1897/...isntinsane.jpg

Comment

• zY|
                              • Sep 2009

Does he really not like every Pixar movie? If that is true, there is no way around trolldom.
                              Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Comment

• SPX
                                • Aug 2009

All I can say is that there have been many, many times in which I have disagreed with his opinion. But after listening to him express his opinions at length, I really believe that he means what he says.

Personally, I liked Inception a lot. He didn't. I thought that was ridiculous. But after listening to his dialogue with the Slashfilmcast crew on the matter I thought he made a lot of good points, especially this: That Christopher Nolan's movies, while looking great and often having interesting plots, are largely soulless and devoid of emotional content.

For those who are interested. . .

Armond White on Inception

This week, David Chen, Devindra Hardawar, and Adam Quigley delve into the mysteries of Christopher Nolan's Inception. Special guest Armond White joins us from New York Press. You can always e-mail us at slashfilmcast(AT)gmail(DOT)com, or call and leave a voicemail at 781-583-1993. Stay tuned to the /Filmcast and to /Film this week for great coverage…

Armond White on the state of film criticism (and more on Inception)

Armond White on Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty

I heart cock

Comment

Working...