2012 Off topic thread(basketball,movies,etc whatever)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ludo
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SPX
    Well I WAS legitimately wondering how the prefix re- got attached to the word "retard" when that typically means to perform an action again.
    I think it's in the same sense as repel in that regard.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Comment

• SPX
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Ludo
      I think it's in the same sense as repel in that regard.
      That still doesn't really solve the mystery, but I do appreciate your etymological knowledge.
      I heart cock

Comment

• Ludo
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SPX
        That still doesn't really solve the mystery, but I do appreciate your etymological knowledge.
        Now hold up. Your throwing too many big words at Me, and because I don't understand them I'm gonna take'em as disrespect. Watch your mouth and help Me with the sale.

Comment

• SPX
          • Aug 2009

BOL!

Hey, by the way, just out of curiosity, is your MartialTalk account still in good standing?
          I heart cock

Comment

• Ludo
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SPX
            BOL!

Hey, by the way, just out of curiosity, is your MartialTalk account still in good standing?
            Indeed it it, good sir.

Comment

• SPX
              • Aug 2009

I'm semi-surprised you didn't at least get a warning for stalking Tez.

Your quote of the day:

"True, i am of the opinion that the UFC caused more damage to martial arts than any single thing in history."
              I heart cock

Comment

• Ludo
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SPX
                I'm semi-surprised you didn't at least get a warning for stalking Tez.

Your quote of the day:

"True, i am of the opinion that the UFC caused more damage to martial arts than any single thing in history."
                I wasn't stalking anyone. I took My orders from the talking walnut so it wasn't My bad thing. Where is that quote from?

Comment

• SPX
                  • Aug 2009

I heart cock

Comment

• zY|
                    • Sep 2009

Now hold up. Your throwing too many big words at Me, and because I don't understand them I'm gonna take'em as disrespect. Watch your mouth and help Me with the sale.
                    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Comment

• Svino
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by SPX
                      Well I WAS legitimately wondering how the prefix re- got attached to the word "retard" when that typically means to perform an action again.
                      I thought this was a good question, so I looked it up and I'm still not totally sure what the answer is.

Well, "Retarded" means "set back" (for example: set back in mental development)

Of course, the prefix "re" is often used to mean "back" or "again", so that use of it seems like a natural fit. But the root "tard" comes from a word that already means "late" or "slow".

So I think in this case "re" might just be an intensifier (as it in words like "relent" or "revere"), so that re-tard means "very slow/late" or "thoroughly slow/late".

Comment

• SPX
                        • Aug 2009

Well I've give it to you, that is at least a well thought out answer. Some interesting stuff there.

Personally, I think that from now on whenever I want to tell someone that a particular person is retarded I'm just going to say that they "star in Tarded: The Sequel."

ex. "You gotta be patient with Danny . . . he stars in Tarded: The Sequel."
                        I heart cock

Comment

• Ludo
                          • Jan 2010

Wow. I agree the UFC originally was put in place to prove the effectiveness of gracie jiu jitsu by pitting a 170lb guy who even back then wasn't an elite grappler. But to say the whole thing was rigged so he would win every time? Come on. Dude fought Kimo, Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock all of whom had some serious weight over him. He may not have gone up against Cale Yarborough or Paul Valerans but Severn was easily more skilled than both of them and was in fact somewhat versed in submissions.

To say the UFC struck a blow to traditional martial arts is absurd. If anything it is the one thing that made people want to train in them again. It forced practitioners to examine their own techniques and either attract more kinds of people or open things up and create a sort of fusion system like Guerilla Jiu Jitsu. It's the biggest thing since Jackie Chan stopped making movies to get people interested in martial arts again.

Comment

• SPX
                            • Aug 2009

. . . but Severn was easily more skilled than both of them and was in fact somewhat versed in submissions.
                            Interesting story here.

Severn was on the Sunday Sitdown last year and talked a bit about his match with Royce. He wouldn't come right out and say anything specific but he mentioned something about some goings-on back stage that caused him to be a bit "nicer" to Royce than he otherwise would've been. He wasn't saying the fight was fixed, but he did indicate that not everything was on the up and up.

I don't think Severn would lie to save face so it would be interesting to know what the backstory is there.

To say the UFC struck a blow to traditional martial arts is absurd. If anything it is the one thing that made people want to train in them again. It forced practitioners to examine their own techniques and either attract more kinds of people or open things up and create a sort of fusion system like Guerilla Jiu Jitsu. It's the biggest thing since Jackie Chan stopped making movies to get people interested in martial arts again.
                            Hmm, I'm not sure about that. In the early 90s traditional martial arts were still quite popular. If you wanted to learn martial arts then you looked at karate, TKD, kung fu or maybe judo. After MMA showed up everyone started saying TMAs suck and every TMA school is a McDojo, and everyone wanted to learn muay Thai and BJJ and boxing.

Now that guys like Machida and Makdessi have come around people are starting to get interested in TMAs again.
                            I heart cock

Comment

• SPX
                              • Aug 2009

Interesting color photos of Hitler's shit:

Several never-before-seen photographs have emerged from Adolf Hitler's personal photographer, giving a first time look at Hitler's Berlin apartment and Bavarian estate. The Mirror reports that photographer Hugo Jaeger was one of the few photographers working with color photography at the time and was granted access to Hitler's living and study quarters, showing artwork and [...]
                              I heart cock

Comment

• Luke
                                10 year vet
                                • Oct 2006

Wow. I agree the UFC originally was put in place to prove the effectiveness of gracie jiu jitsu by pitting a 170lb guy who even back then wasn't an elite grappler. But to say the whole thing was rigged so he would win every time? Come on. Dude fought Kimo, Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock all of whom had some serious weight over him. He may not have gone up against Cale Yarborough or Paul Valerans but Severn was easily more skilled than both of them and was in fact somewhat versed in submissions.

It was kind of rigged in a way for Royce. You didn't see them invite a top level Judo practitioners to the first UFC's. Severn was in his first ever MMA fights when he ran into Gracie so I doubt he was too familiar with BJJ but I could be wrong. The first legit competition Royce had imo was Kimo and that fight caused him to forfeit his next fight.

To say the UFC struck a blow to traditional martial arts is absurd.

^^^^^but that is nuts.
                                2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Comment

Working...